Let me say straight away that any kind of fried potato is fine by me!
However, sweet potatoes are a very popular alternative to regular potato fries. They taste great and are really easy to make.
Even better, they are also a healthier alternative to the standard potato French fry as a portion of sweet potato is considered a serve of veg, whilst a regular potato isn’t. Lord only knows how that works, as I’m sure that a spud was a vegetable last time I looked. But hey, who am I to argue with nutritionists?
If you’d like to learn more about the nutritional difference between potatoes and sweet potatoes, you can read more here.
Either way, our best air fryer sweet potato fries recipe is a winner. Great to have as a snack or a side to a meal, we’re sure that you’ll nibble your way through a bowlful before you know it!
Best Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe:
Makes: 2 servings. Prep: 10 mins. Cook: 8 mins
2 medium sweet potatoes; 2 tsp olive oil; ½ tsp salt.
Optional – ½ tsp garlic powder and ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Heat the air fryer to 200C for 5 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 6-7mm thick fries – dry thoroughly with a clean tea towel or paper towel.
- Toss the raw sweet potato fries in the oil and salt – and spices, if you are using them.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Lay the sweet potato pieces in the basket in a single layer – try not to let them touch one another.
- Cook for 8 minutes per batch, turning the fries halfway through.
- You may need to make the fries in 2 or 3 batches – depending on the size of your air fryer.
If you’d like to have a go at making regular potato fries in your air fryer, you can read more here.
One of the most popular large air fryers on the market is the versatile Ninja DZ201 Foodi 8 Quart 6-in-1 DualZone 2-Basket Air Fryer. The 2 basket system is a great innovation – allowing you to cook 2 different items at varying temperatures simultaneously.