High in fibre and protein, as well as carrying a decent dose of minerals, chickpeas make a great snack if you are looking for a healthy alternative to chips. If you follow the recipe below, you will end up with a bowl of crispy, nutty spiced chickpeas, lightly flavoured with a moreish spicy coating.
If you’re not convinced that having chickpeas in your diet is a good idea, you can read more about their health benefits here.
Best Air Fryer Crispy Spiced Chickpeas Recipe:
Makes: 4 servings. Prep: 5 min Cook: 20 min
1 can (425g) cooked chickpeas – or 425g of chickpeas that you have soaked and cooked yourself.
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
½ tsp salt
A good grind of black pepper
- Heat the air fryer to 190C.
- Drain and rinse the tinned chickpeas, or your home-cooked chickpeas.
- Dry the chickpeas thoroughly and try to remove as many of their skins as possible (this helps them to crisp up nicely). I suggest putting them in a clean tea towel and gently rubbing them.
- Put the olive oil and spices in a bowl and mix.
- Add the dried chickpeas to the oil and spice mix and stir to coat them.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Add the coated chickpeas to the basket – try to keep them in a single layer and not touching one another, if possible.
- Cook for 12 minutes.
- Stir the chickpeas and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Check the chickpeas. They may need a little longer in the air fryer if you use larger chickpeas. Jarred chickpeas, in particular, tend to be bigger.
- Remove from the air fryer and allow to cool. They should crisp up as they reach room temperature.
- You may need to cook the chickpeas in 2 or 3 batches, depending on the size of your basket.
If you are looking to change things up a bit, you could try some of the following flavour combinations to add interest to your chickpeas.
- Smoked paprika and salt have a subtle, bbq flavour.
- Turmeric and ginger give a gentle warmth.
- Lime zest and black pepper add a citrus zing.
- Cinnamon and sugar lend a sweet warmth.
- Cacao and brown sugar make for a delicious treat.